Saturday, June 19, 2010

The International Art Collection Begins!

In a previous post, I mentioned that Dom and I were thinking over a big art purchase. Today was the day we did the deed! I was so excited that as soon as I got our Georges Desarmes home, I hung it on the wall. This is ironic as our movers are coming on Monday, but I just had to enjoy it for a few days before it gets packed up and sent on its way to Lusaka. This will be my eye candy for the next 48 hours!


We also had a chance to meet the Haitian artist Leroy Exil thanks to our friends Angela and Charles. We purchased two of his smaller pieces. It makes me happy to think that I get to take the vibrant colors of Haiti with me on our next adventure! We also had some handmade frames made which make them extra authentic!

When we visited Leroy, he was in the middle of preparing for the Smithsonian Folk Life Festival where he will be showing his work. The Smithsonian Folklife Festival begins on June 24 on the National Mall also will feature other artists from Haiti. Some of their work will be sold to benefit Haiti's cultural revival. To all our D.C. friends, please participate in this festival, it will be a great way to get amazing art, and support the people of Haiti.






If you want to do some art shopping in Haiti we highly recommend Monnin Gallery. Toni is a fabulous lady who is truly working hard to help Haitian artists. She has set up a foundation as well, so if you are looking for an organization to donate to, I suggest this one! Haitian art is vibrant and beautiful and an amazing part of their culture. Everyone needs a touch of that in their lives.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pieces! I'm so glad you get to take Haiti with you, not only in your heart but in a physical way too. :)

    ReplyDelete