Thursday, January 28, 2010

1.28.2010 Solace

Dear Friends,

My very wise mother sent me an email telling me I should take a photo of the beauty around me in the time of disaster. I know these are not the photos that people are clamoring to see in the post earthquake disaster of Haiti.

However, my heart cannot take documenting the sadness and the fear that surround me at the moment. So I have turned my camera toward other things. These things are more mundane, just simple and beautiful. From time to time I need to turn my eyes away from all the sadness around me and remember that beauty still exists. Perhaps, step by step by just having my camera on my person I can begin to show you Haiti in a different way.




I got home today around 5 and none of my fellow houseguest were home. So I sat outside on my front porch for awhile by myself. I feel safe outside. The quiet was nice, except for the occasional helicopter. I found my quiet moment for the day and maybe some tiny piece of my heart was healed just by looking at the sunset.




Meet Lulu, she is the most ferocious four legged beast in our neighborhood. The dogs in our neighborhood have helped all of us more than anyone knows. I often see a crowd sitting out in the yard with the dogs. Its as if Lucy, Lulu, and Mojo know we all need to be comforted. Many of these dogs will be evacuated out in the coming days and none us really know how to tell them goodbye.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. Take all the time your need to heal and slowly, as things get better, you will be able to capture the hopeful and miraculous acts and changes. We love you and we're praying for you so much. Stay strong and keep up the amazing work you are doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My Darling... Words fail me here! When this is all over I want a copy of that picture of the sunset. It will forever speak to me of you. You are as ever my Beautifully Delicate Life (This is what Crystaline Eve means for those of you who don't know. She was born fighting at 4lbs 11 ozs and is still a strong, delicately beautiful force to be reckoned with!) I LOVE YOU WITH ALL THAT I AM! FOR ALL THAT YOU ARE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bellina Mia - Checking in with your mother's FB is the first thing I do in the morning when I wake, and the last thing I do before I sleep. Words that describe my true sentiment escape me - but your courage and strength have inspired me to tears with every line I read and now with every photo I see. You ARE that Beautifully Delicate Life - pouring your heart out so that others may have a fighting chance as well. LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal, thank you so much for sharing. We love you so much and can't wait to see pictures of the things that lift you up out of this sadness. I pray God will continue to bless you and Dom, and I know that you are truly being the hands and feet of Jesus to so many around you. Just remember that we would never see the beauty of the sunrise if there were no midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to give you a big hug.It really uplifts me to see this last post. Your spirit is so beautiful Crystal!
    -allegra

    ReplyDelete