Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Making Zambia Home: Part 1

As promised, I am posting photos of our new home in Zambia. It will probably be a two part post. We had an incredibly productive weekend, we got the house painted, and started putting the final touches around our house. This is the first time in years that I have had all of my art work in one place and it makes my heart happy to begin crafting a home so to speak!

My favorite room so far, just might be my office. This is probably because I have never really had a real office in my home before. Besides the fact that I bought a whole load of new toys that I am just beginning to utilize to their fullest! Usually I stick a desk in a bedroom and call it good. But this is truly a creative space and it feels very put together, and I LOVE the art in here. Kudos to my talented friend Jonathon Kimbrell for the lovely Marilyns, and my mentor Timothy O. Sutherland for the lovely photo. You guys make my space!




Here is our dining room, which is just gorgeous! I love the combination of grey/tan wall (Soap Bubble according to the paint store) with the rich furniture. It feels modern, but young to me. Once again the art in this space makes me so happy! The large painting of wings was done by my friend Leighanne Meador, post Hurricane Katrina. I don't think it's ever had such a wonderful show case spot! The far wall is my Haiti wall, there is a  mirror was crafted by Haitians from oil drums (which isn't pictured) and two small paintings were done by Leroy Exil who Dom and I had the pleasure of meeting in person while living in Haiti.





Dom and I have slowly been working on the outside of our house as well, and our biggest accomplishment so far is the gorgeous rose/herb garden we look out onto from our patio. It is a little slice of heaven to have your morning cup of coffee and feast your eyes!






Here's a little shout out for the ladies of T.I.P., check out the glass on my patio door.Yes those are teeny, tiny sailboats.


More from the home base soon!

8 comments:

  1. Teeny tiny sailboats for all the sailing that Zambian's would do from their landlocked country ;-)

    Actually the African sailboat is called a dhow - once used prominently up and down the coast of East Africa as the main method of trading. Though you can still see many dhows on the coast today, used for fishing, and of course, cultural excursions.

    Can't wait to meet you in Africa one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Crystal! Everything is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I want to take advantage of having a beautiful space, you never know what you're going to get in the foreign service. But it's a labor of love...I get to live in my own little HGTV land.

    CC- Thanks for the fun fact! I can always count on you to give me my Africa education! I cannot wait to experience it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it look beautiful! And, I must say, is quite the improvement over the picture that I looked at with you when you were here.

    I miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie Berry Bierck! I miss you too, I tried to call you the other day but no dice. I'll try again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon, I can't wait for your next print to arrive! I've got a spot all picked out for it!

    ReplyDelete