Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Years at Kanyemba Lodge: Part 2

 For a photographer, few times are better than the quiet sunrise, when it's just you, your camera, and the awakening world. This year at 5:15 a.m. on New Years Day, I was standing on a wooden deck overlooking the Zambezi River contemplating the last year.  I believe that moments of beauty often bring healing to my heart. And watching the sun crest over the horizon I felt at peace with life. 



 Seeing as I was already up, I dragged Dom out on another speed boat adventure so I could take advantage of the fantastic light that was swirling around in the New Year. We took off to see what other wild animals we could find. 




 The purple billed heron is a massive, beautiful bird. You can see more photos of this one and the weekend here at my professional blog.


The crocs were out in full force, I was happy to shoot them with a long lens and keep my distance. I learned that this one was female, the ones that are brighter in coloring female, the darker ones are male.


My favorite shot of a large hippo harem! 




It was an amazing morning! We stumbled upon a bachelor herd of elephants. Bachelor herds are all young males and usually one older male who is responsible for herd and for teaching the young bucks the ways of life. They were playing in the water when we arrived. What is about elephants that is so awe inspiring? They are the most majestic creatures, and it always seems to me that they are regarding me in the most human-like fashion.


I wish I could explain the glory of the trees in Zambia, some are over a 100 years old and they are gorgeous. This one is a sausage tree (See the sausage-like bean bods in the leaves?)


Here is a male crocodile, who wasn't too keen on showing us his face, which suited me just fine. 

We spent most of the rest of the day by the pool, enjoying the company of our friends, and the glory of complete relaxation. But I couldn't resist snapping a photo of a creepy, crawly friend in our bathroom in our room. Does anyone know it's name? It looks like a walking stick, but was such an intriguing little critter.



 I finished off New Years day like I started it by documenting the sunset of one of the most perfect days of my life.  Welcome 2011! May you bring many adventures my way!!




 © Crystaline Randazzo Photography - All images are copyright of Crystaline Randazzo and in no way are to be used by Google, Google Advertisers or any third party. These are not your pictures. Steal them and I will sue you.

4 comments:

  1. So this is where you were when I was calling!! Ahh Ha! :) I'll forgive you for not picking up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jambo Rafiki Yangu!
    Memories of my time in Africa... thank you for sharing. I know it will seep deep into your soul as Kenya has done for me. Now, we should look forward to my 3rd trip to Africa, with a nice stopover in Zambia... though I'm dying to get to Cape Verde as well. We should discuss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CC! Definitely, lets start planning Africa excursions, I am all over it! Lots of love from Zambia!

    ReplyDelete